Thursday 12 February 2009

The Accursed Getinmahbeli from Khurasan Miniatures


Jon from Khurasan Miniatures contacted me recently to see if I would be interested in painting the first of his new range of Mystri Island 15mm Lost World/Adventure figures. As the greens were available to view on line I jumped across to TMP to have a look. There, sculpted by Mark Kay, was a set of very well detailed and characterful 15 mm pot bellied cannibal women of the Accursed Getinmahbeli tribe that looked like they would be great fun to paint.

So a week later the pre production figures arrived. Standing at 15 mm high Mark has done a superb job of getting plenty of detail into these minis. The facial detail is probably the best I have seen on any 15mm figure. Cleanly moulded they required little or no cleaning up and after a quick dip in the cleaning solution and undercoating with Games Workshop Skull White spray it was time to paint.

I painted the figures with Vallejo and Games Workshop paints thinned with distilled water and an acrylic retarder. I started by blocking in the colours as on the Valiant figures in my previous post.


The most important area was obviously the flesh and this was done with Games Workshop Bronze Flesh.This was then followed with a coat of the Gryphonne Sepia from the new inks from Games Workshop. Further shading was added by blending Gryphonne Sepia with increasing amounts of Ogryn Flesh and Devlan Mud. Once dry I then highlighted with straight Bronze Flesh to which I gradually added Skull White to the basic colour. This was applied in very thin layers and the highlights built up gradually until I was satisfied with the overall result. As I have already said it is rare to find figures in 15mm with this level of facial detail and the extra time spent painting them is well worth the
effort.



The clothing on the minis, based on the attire of the actual Kalinga head-hunters, is just enough to protect the harridans modesty, little more than a loin cloth and an ill fitting blouse. I decided to have some fun and painted them in quite vivid and strong colours. The Vallejo range has an excellent level of pigmentation and blend well with Games Workshops skull white. I use Games Workshops white to lighten the colour as it has a non-chalky consistency and is extremely bright.

To finish off I placed the figures on Battlefront bases using Games Workshop sand and flock. As these figures are for publication, on the Khurasan Miniatures website as examples, I purposely kept the basing as uncomplicated as possible so as not to detract the eye from the figures themselves.



All in all superb figures to paint, real little “painters figures”, which are most unusual and a welcome break from the norm. For more information on this new range go to http://members.tripod.com/khurasanminiatures/mystriisland.html

No comments: