Monday 11 August 2008

Painting a Canadian Sniper Team

In this particular post I am going to look at painting camouflage, probably the most interesting and difficult aspect of painting Battlefronts Flames of War 15 mm miniatures. I have on this occasion chosen a particular favourite of mine the Denison Smock or Jacket. Made famous by the Parachute Regiment, it was also a particular favourite of the Canadian Scouts and Snipers, which is what I have chosen to replicate in this particular piece. Taken from the Flames of War the Late War British Rifle Company. I was inspired by, the famous picture of, Sergeant Harold A. Marshall of the Calgary Highlanders. This will, I hope demonstrate, that you can achieve some superb results even on such small areas.

Preparation.
Firstly as always with my 15 mm figs, after having removed any flash and the obligatory dip in detergent, I applied a light coating of Games Workshops Chaos Black. As a rule of thumb Undercoats are normally white, grey or black. However I find that in this scale that a black undercoat saves a lot of time when it comes to lining the figure.


Basic Colours
Once the Primer has dried, I like to leave the figure for 24 hrs, it is time to break out the paints an brushes and get down to work. Starting with the trousers I lay on a coat of English Khaki, paying particular attention to where the trouser meets the gaiter and the jacket to ensure that a very fine line of black is left to define the point of separation.

Once dry I apply two highlights, both highlight colours are made by mixing white to the Khaki. Obviously the first highlight will contain more English Khaki and the second more white. Remember that these colours will be added to the highest points, creases, folds and around the upper knee area.

Next, the Denison Jacket. I will be applying a three-toned camouflage pattern to this Flames of War Canadian Sniper Team. A mid green, a mahogany brown and a sand. While the pattern is almost equal parts of these colours I will be applying the sand as a base coat, because it is the lighter shade it will contrast the darker colours and therefore ease application of the camouflage pattern. Once all three colours are applied you should have a nicely camouflaged model. Again highlights can be added my mixing in white to the green and the sand colour into the brown. Add white to the brown and you will end up with a horrible pink.

Detailing the models
The equipment can now be picked out. I mix a shade for the base of field grey and olive green and highlight in the normal way i.e. adding white to the base colour. I have always preferred my models weapons to have a darker wood finish but this is purely personal choice.

Flesh Tones

I always start with |Citadel Bestial Brown as an undercoat followed by bronzed flesh and highlighted with a 50\50 bronzed flesh and skull white. In this scale this three-tone approach works extremely well.


There we have it the figures are ready for basing. The next sniper team up for painting are a pair of Waffen SS in camo smocks.

No comments: